Do you or someone you know need urgent help?


If you or someone you know or at risk of hurting themselves or others, it is crucial that you seek help immediately.

You can freephone the following helplines if you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to in confidence:


Call: 116 123


Text: 087 260 9090 (fees apply)

Pieta House

Call: 1800 247 247

Text: HELP to 51444 (fees apply)


If you need professional help immediately you can go to:


Your Local Doctor

Find a local family doctor (G.P.) or health centre by visiting the online service finder. If it’s late in the evening, night time or the weekend, contact a G.P. Out of Hours Service. Find out how a G.P. can offer support for mental health problems.


Go to or contact the Emergency Department of your nearest general hospital. Hospitals are listed on the online service finder. You can also contact the emergency services by calling 999 or 112 if you or someone else has harmed themselves or taken an overdose.

H.S.E. Mental health services

If you have been (or are currently) supported by a mental health team, go to the Emergency Department or contact the service you are attending and ask for an appointment as soon as possible. HSE Links can be found here

You might need to try a few options before you find appropriate support but don’t give up trying – there is help available. If possible, ask someone to come along with you to the support service you contact.

Remember it is okay not to be okay and to ask for help and support through a difficult time.